Have you thought about running for office, but don’t know where to start? The League of Women Voters is making that the focus of this year’s Citizen’s Academy, and they are accepting applications now. The 2014 League of Women Voters of Knoxville and Knox County Citizens Academy, the third for the League, will focus on how to run for office, with sessions on February 15th and 22nd and March 8th. This program is open to everyone and is available to participants free of charge.
Speakers and Panelists include:
· Amy Broyles, Knox County Commissioner
· Richard Briggs, Knox County Commissioner
· Karen Carson, Knox County Board of Education
· Gary Drinnen, Public Relations Professional
· Gloria Johnson, Tennessee General Assembly
· Gene Patterson, WATE Anchor
· Nick Pavlis, Knoxville City Council Member
· Cliff Rodgers, Knoxville Administrator of Elections
· Rick Staples, Former City Council Candidate
· Sherry Witt, Knox County Register of Deeds
Topics will include campaigning 101, fundraising, interacting with the media, and a panel on special issues for female candidates. Lunch will be provided during the first two sessions. A reception will follow the final session on March 8th.
To apply to participate, download the application from our website at www.lwvknoxville.org or email League@lwvknoxville.org. Submit completed applications by email to League@lwvknoxville.org or by mail to League of Women Voters of Knoxville/Knox County, P.O. Box 31825, Knoxville, TN 37930 no later than January 31st. Space is limited to 30 participants, so submit your application now!
The League of Women Voters of Knoxville and Knox County, a nonpartisan political organization, encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy. The League posts their calendar of activities at lwvknoxville.org/calendar.html. For more information, visit www.lwvknoxville.org, www.facebook.com/lwvknoxville, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.