As 2017 comes to a close, Goodwill Industries-Knoxville is giving tips to make end-of-year giving easy. Because Goodwill is a nonprofit organization, any donations made to Goodwill by the end of business hours on Sunday, December 31st can be deducted from 2017 taxes.
Here are some helpful hints for making the most of your donations:
- Donate early! Beat the rush and make sure your donations are counted in time.
- Have an inventory of your items ready before your trip to Goodwill. This will make it easier to itemize your donations when preparing your taxes. Goodwill has posted a guide on their website to help estimate the value of your donation.
- Make sure that your donations are handed to a Goodwill staff member to get your receipt. Goodwill is only able to accept donations and write receipts during regular business hours, so check to make sure they are open before you make the drive. Store hours vary by location, so check online to find the store closest to you.
- Know your Goodwill! The donating deadline falls on a Sunday, but the following Goodwill stores are regularly closed on Sunday: Dandridge, Maynardville, Jefferson City, Rutledge and the 17th Street UT’s campus store.
- Know what can and cannot be accepted. Goodwill can accept a wide variety of items including clothes, toys, kitchenware, sporting equipment, books, dvds and more. They cannot accept donations of televisions, mattresses, washers, dryers or refrigerators. You can find a full list of accepted items on Goodwill’s website.
- Know your options! You can donate at any of Goodwill Industries-Knoxville’s 28 regional retail stores, or at a Goodwill attended donation center at a city or county recycling center.
- Donate with confidence. Your donation will be sold in one of Goodwill’s retail stores, raising funds for Goodwill’s job training programs and employment services for people with barriers to employment. Your donation can help change a life.
Each year, Goodwill helps thousands of individuals find a job that works for them. The process may include skills training, job searching, interview and resume preparation, speaking with managers and advocating for clients.
When you donate to Goodwill or shop in our stores, you directly support Goodwill’s mission to provide vocational training and employment opportunities for individuals with barriers to employment. Rest assured that your donation is making an impact in your community, one job at a time.
Find a full list of locations, hours and acceptable items, visit www.goodwillknoxville.org/donate.