The Sunshine Review is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, based out of Virginia, dedicated to state and local government transparency.
The organization collects and shares transparency information and uses a “10-point Transparency Checklist” to evaluate the content of every state and more than 6,000 local government websites. Sunshine Review collaborates with individuals and organizations throughout America in an an effort to promote both an informed citizenry and an accountable government.
According to the website, among the factors contributing to the school system’s below average rating are the following:
- Public records
- The public information officer is not identified. Sunshine Review requires a mailing address, phone number and personalized email be listed with this position.
- The most recent audit is not posted.
- Audits must be archived for as least three years.
- Bids and RFPs are not posted online.
- Approved contract statements are not available for vendors above $10,000.