Bee Schools Scheduled for Multiple Times, Locations Across the State
The Tennessee Master Beekeeper Program has released its 2016 schedule for Basic Level classes. The first class will meet at the University of Tennessee Plant Biotech Building in Knoxville on May 13 and 14. Master Beekeeper courses will also be offered at multiple locations in Middle Tennessee during the month of June. The dates and locations for all basic level classes are as follows:
- University of Tennessee Plant Biotech Building – Knoxville, Tennessee – May 13-14 (http://bees.tennessee.edu)
- Jackson’s Chapel Community Center – Charlotte, Tennessee – June 2-4 (615-792-4420)
- Franklin County Extension Office – Winchester, Tennessee – June 16-18 (931-967-2741)
- David Crockett State Park – Lawrenceburg, Tennessee – June 17-18 (http://bees.tennessee.edu)
- Tennessee Tech University – Cookeville, Tennessee – June 23-25 (931-319-5377)
The cost to enroll in this school for beekeepers is $100. That includes classroom lectures and hands-on training at an apiary. Participants are encouraged to bring their own protective gear. Classroom presentations will cover bee biology and behavior, tools and equipment, disease and pest anagement, and other tips to improve beekeeping skills. More details can be found at http://bees.tennessee.edu.
The purpose of the Master Beekeeper program is to increase the knowledge and skill level of participating beekeepers while also increasing the overall health of the apiary industry in Tennessee.
An Advanced Master Beekeeper Workshop has also been scheduled for September 1-3 at the Franklin County Extension Office in Winchester, Tennessee. A second advanced course will be held in Johnson City, Tennessee, with dates to be determined in the future. Completion of the Basic Master Beekeeping course is required before enrolling in the advanced class. The cost of the Advanced Master Beekeeper Program is also $100. More information is available at http://bees.tennessee.edu or calling 931-967-2741.