Seymour VFD dedicates a new fire station

Seymour VFD dedicates a new fire station

 

By Mike Steely

Senior Writer

steelym@knoxfocus.com

Since 1971 the Seymour Volunteer Fire Department has served homes and businesses in their growing community. The department responds to calls in Knox, Blount and Sevier counties because all three county borders meet there.

SVFD began with 12 volunteer firefighters, a new fire engine, and 24 calls during its first year.

Nowadays the volunteer department is growing with its community, responding to more than 1,700 calls a year. The department responds to emergency medical, fire-related and hazardous material service calls as well as offering the general public educational programs and smoke alarm installation or car seat inspections by appointment.

Last Monday morning the Seymour Volunteer Fire Department cut the ribbon on Fire Station No. 2, located at 7915 Chapman Highway. The department’s expansion was needed to meet the growing residential and commercial population of the South Knox County area.

Knox County 9th District Commissioner Carson Dailey cut the ribbon in a ceremony that included Knox County Mayor Glenn Jacobs, Chief John Linsenbigler, and other elected and community leaders. The new fire station is the second in Knox County to include living space for its volunteers, certainly a perk for the community to have volunteers immediately available when needed. The fire department now has six fire stations located in a 118-square mile area.

Anyone wanting more information may contact the volunteer fire department at (865) 851-1157 or find them online at www.SeymourVFD.com. The non-profit organization relies on donations to go toward providing fire, EMS, extraction and rescue services in its tri-county community.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login